Saturday, January 10, 2009

Signs R Us


Most have seen this already, but maybe we can generate a few more sales for them. Mark, Liz, Greg and Jen have taken Pittsburgh's introspection to an area nowhere else has gone before. Read about the new book to come out of the Pittsburgh Signs Project. Available online from the CMU press. I had a few ideas for pictures I meant to take and send in to the project, but just never got around to it. Maybe if there is a Signs 2.0 project?
Actually I made that up about the uniqueness of the project. It might be, I just don't know. It probably is something that could only be conceived in Pittsburgh. Some find our obsession with analyzing ourselves and in particular our past a bit narcissistic (did I say that?), or at the very least counterproductive. Others just find it quaint. I actually think Signs comes as close as you can get to being a community Rorschach test. What do the signs mean to you? What do they say about us?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There's an obsession with the past here that I've never seen in any other place I've lived or visited.

I really can't put my finger on it, but it seems like it's easier to talk about how great PGH once was than to take the risks to do something new.