Thursday, January 19, 2006

Scoble on Pittsburgh

Thanks to Robert Scoble for all of his kind words about Pittsburgh!
Pittsburgh is having a steel hangover.

That’s what I kept hearing all day long. My life really is interesting because I’m now getting to a diverse enough group of cities in a short amount of time to get a feel for what’s happening in each city.

I didn’t expect what I found.

Why? Cause I, like many others even who live here, remember Pittsburgh’s past. It’s the city of steel.

I expected dirty, grimy, economic ruin, and all that.

But, I found a really pretty city that has great educational institutions and a vibrancy that many other cities wish they had.

But, there’s that steel hangover.

The city is still trying to figure out who it is. Is it a football town? A technology town (I met a couple of Apple employees tonight, for instance, who work here and Google is opening an office and Bill Gates donated a bunch of money to Carnegie Mellon where I’ll be getting a tour of the robotics lab tomorrow)? Or something else? A geek town?

If you want a visual log of Robert's tour, check our his Flikr photostream.

No comments: