Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Confessions of a News Junky

I'm something of a journalism junkie, raised as I was by parents who met while editing their college newspaper. My grandfather got into the newspapering business in the 1920s. I'm print-based and mostly analog. I still read two papers every morning; I read a couple of news magazines per week. I rarely watch news shows on television or listen to news on the radio, and I check cnn.com or msnbc.com more for "breaking news" -- like Miley Cyrus's Vanity Fair photos -- than to keep up in the world.

So, between that history and my professional curiosity about the internet and e-commerce, I enjoy the occasional public conversation about what Pittsburgh's leading print daily is up to. As part of the NewsHour's coverage of last week's Pennsylvania primary, Jeffrey Brown put together this interesting segment featuring David Schribman, executive editor of the Post-Gazette, who talked about print and web.

To put that conversation in broader context, take a look at the agenda and speakers' lineup for a "Future of News" workshop coming up in two weeks at Princeton University.

My takeaway: Even with aggressive attention to web-based distribution of content, and even in a market that, like Pittsburgh, skews to an older population that relies on traditional, local sources, the "future of [traditional] news" seems . . . shaky.

No comments: