Sunday, April 30, 2006

LiveCreature

Thanks to Natalia at IHeartPgh for the pointer to LiveCreature.com, a blog about arts in Pittsburgh, "nibbling at the corners of Pittsburgh culture."

Natalia, by the way, just posted about Big Jim's, in a neighborhood that I discovered for the first time yesterday. Headed toward the Squirrel Hill tunnels on the Parkway, I've noticed the soccer field down in Panther Hollow. I was on that field yesterday, for the first time. Unlike the users of the Eliza Furnace Trail, I didn't know that there is a nice playground and basketball court directly under the Parkway, or that Big Jim's is the landmark that everyone uses to guide people to and through the neighborhood. I hope that all this publicity doesn't spoil the place.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

'all this publicity'? big jim's has been there forever, and has for a very long time gladly suffered customers from pitt and cmu. nothing can ruin that place except when no one wants to run it any more (see the recent prantl's stories in the p-g).

Mike Madison said...

Um, okay, right. What I said. Someone really should develop an < irony>irony< /irony> tag.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike -

As you know, sometimes it's hard to convey irony in an email or blog. I also thought you were serious about the "publicity". (Quotation marks help in the irony department. So does one of these ;~>--that's a wink, by the way.)

But I'll make you a deal--You don't come to the run, I won't come to Mt. Lebo. (Just kidding!)

Mike Madison said...

Right, of course, about typography and icons and acronyms, but I get exhausted by decoding them. (ROTFL? WTF?) What the Web needs is an inventory of irony-enabled audio plugins. In print, good (that is, subtle) irony usually needs a lot of context; in conversation, you can do irony more quickly, but you need sound. Wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more. Know what I mean?

Then again, it's often the case that when someone (me?) writes "What the Web needs . . .," the Web already has it, and I just don't know about it. Is that the case here?