Thursday, July 01, 2004

Glorious Day

Having violated my own internal rule ("No Whining") in my last post, here's the upbeat counterpart. My family went to PNC Park yesterday to watch the Pirates play the Cardinals. As everyone in town knows, it was a glorious, sunny, dry afternoon. Perfect for baseball. And we were in a nearly-perfect baseball park.

There was a good, vocal crowd that, briefly, reminded me of a European soccer crowd--cheering and clapping for the home side at the oddest moments. Then (oh my!) a baseball game broke out. Solid defense, timely hitting, competent pitching, and best of all, a come-from-behind Pirates victory, sealed in the bottom of the ninth. And the whole thing was over in just under three hours.

We watched the game from the comfort of section 139, in right field, with a panoramic view of the stadium and a gentle river breeze to cool our backs.

Get yo Pittsburgh on!

No comments: